View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
WalliK

Hi all

Following are many questions for all you experienced guys out there. Im looking for real life experience, not just stats or numbers.

I am looking at a conversion not longer than 26 to 28 ft, most likely custom floorplan. Most standard converters (Showhauler, Haulmark, Kibbi) like to run 30 or more. Mainly for camping, not racing, towing around 8,000 lbs, which of course always might get more.

"Out west" in southern CA, so lots of mountains to get away to north and east. (To go west I take my boat)

Checking Webpages and talking to Cobra Trailers and Wildside LLc I get the feeling they both promise about the same. Any experiences on these? I remember some of you guys were checking into Wildside a while ago.

Second question is the truck itself. Both these and other converters put their boxes on used trucks. Mainly Freightiner or Volvo. Most use Century reconfigured day cabs.

I do know the numbers on M2 106, M2 112, CL 112 and CL 120. Warparth seems to be happy with the M2 106. Whats the general consense on these? What do I really need if I dont tow heavy, but want to have enough power on mountains. Overall height is lower on M2, easier for camping?

Reconfigured day cab is the cheapest ($ 35,000 to 45,000 after stretch) and the "most" truck. Any disadvantages? Also, nearly everone of these guys advises me to keep the twin screw. Better ride, more traction, better braking and so on...

But what about the rougher ride as im not really heavy? Do i lose too much basement storage?

OK, wonder what else I forgot to consider and I will hear now...

Thanks

Walter
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote