View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 01:23 PM   #7
Warpath

Here is a clarification on the M2

The M2 106 is the one in the above pictures, this chassis has a maximum hp rating of 300hp at 860 ft lbs of torque. The limiting factor is the size of the radiator. IF you want more ponies you have to go to the M2 112 which is damn ugly with a snub noise do to the increased radiator size. I though the old FL 112 was a great looking truck, I have no clue who the bone head was that screwed that up in the new design.

I spoke with Lonnie on this and he really likes the truck and what it offers, with increased over cab bunk room and very manageable wheel base. They outfitted the one on the front page with the Cat 3126 300 hp and Allison full automatic (not autoshift, but their 6 speed world transmission)and he said it really moves out and is a blast to drive. He recommends this chassis setup with a 26 or 28 motorhome and towing a smaller trailer or a car. For toterhome use it is good up to a 12,000 lb trailer. If you are going to be towing a big stacker trailer go to the Columbia or Volvo.

Lonnie also mentioned if you are going to be running big mountains and you want to maintain the speed limit plus, this setup is not for you. He felt that it should run mountain grades at 45 mph plus depending on your setup.

I still feel that this is the way to go for me, and I really like the thought of a full automatic trannie. One of the uses we would like to employ this for is day trips and the easier to drive in tight places the more likely I would be to get it out for those short 2 hour trips.

I am seeing that the M2 runs about $20,000 cheaper than the Volvo or Columbia.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote