View Single Post
Old 11-06-2003, 09:31 PM   #11
Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drfun:

This whole thread is very interesting to me... I was beginning to think I was the only one who wanted something smaller than the 50+' monsters that have been featured/discussed.

Anywho, I'd like to know more about how you propose eliminating propane -- electric cooktop and microwave cover the cooking needs; what are your thoughts/choices for heat, hot water, and refrigeration?

Regards,
Alan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The maximum length for a single unit here in WA is 45', and I think that is typical - I'd be careful about going over that. While large for a single unit, it is not really that big; I drove semis (mostly from Illinois to Maine) for several years while my wife did her PhD. Those old east coast cities are tight, and I made it. For a unit mostly used on the open road, and not used for real boondocking, 45' is not a problem.

My idea for electrical is to use the weight capacity of the truck to have a lot of deep cycle storage batteries. I have seen a few depicted that have under body storage, with what appears to be room for trays of batteries. Given the capacity of a truck, especially if equipped with a tandem or tag axle, the weight would not be a problem.

Combined with that, a big diesel generator, used partially for operating power, and partly to charge the batteries while not in a place/time that requires quiet. I think that someone who knows what they are doing (not me) can calculate the likely power requirements for some period, such as 48 hours, the storage and recharge capacity needed, and go from there.

At the time I was thinking this way, I was looking at a large unit, and living it for significant periods of time. Now, it's not quite the same, but I am inclined to have ordinary residential appliances for ease of maintenance. Since my move has been delayed, I think I'll have to think while I save....
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote