View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
fastlap

The 444-444E- powerestroke and 7.3 & 6.9 all share the same problem with cylinder wall erosion !
The most important thing with these engines is to keep the PH level of the coolant at the proper level
It should be tested twice a year and addressed acordingly!
I would not purchace one with more than 25kmi that has not been kept up on ! It is very expensive to fix once a hole or slit in the cylinder happens!
The engine block has to be bored and sleeved (there are no liners ) and this should be done to all 8 cyls at this time ( every time we only did the bad one, one of the others would go soon after !
I own alot of these things , there ok in a light truck (just ok) I have had 3 so far with bad cylinders the last one happening 2 days ago ! this is in 20 years of using these engines in many variations ( not too bad ) But I have seen hunderds of them with the problem !
WITH this engine luck of the draw plays as big a part as any ! This is something that was never fixed by International harvester! only the PH testing and addative has gotten better !
When I buy one used , my first question is > when was the PH done last ?? usual answer is what the hell is that !! My resoponse is sorry I am not interested have a nice day t
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote