View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 06:45 AM   #4
Steve/SWMO

Just a quick update on some of the things I have learned about alternatives to the M2.

The Kenworth 300, the Peterbilt 335, and the International 4400 have 315/310 hp engines with 950 lbs. of torque. The M2 is currently limited at 860 lbs. torque. So this gives those trucks a 10% torque advantage, but there are rumors that the M2 106 will have higher options available in 2005 but nothing I have been able to confirm.

The Kenworth and Peterbuilt have Cummins and Cat engines available, the International has their own in house engine, and the M2 106 has Mercedes and Cat engines available. An Allison TRV (Truck RV) in the 3200 series is used on the higher torque engines (above 860 lbs. torque).

The cab heights above the frame rail are very close to the same, so bunk space is not going to be very different between the trucks. A big difference in favor of the M2 and International is that they have a 12 inch plus wider interior than the Kenworth and Peterbilt. This makes getting back and forth to the RV much easier.

A new Eaton Ultrashift 6 speed manual transmission (but with no clutch pedal) is or will be available in all the trucks but the new tranny is limited to 860 lbs. of torque so currently only the 300 hp engines can be used.

The Peterbilt is the only truck with a two piece non-curved windshield. The Pete is the only truck I have found to drive as yet and it made me feel like I was driving a semi, good for me but not to impressive to the wife.

All for now, and thanks for your comments.
Steve/SWMO
Steve/SWMO is offline   Reply With Quote