View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
Gary Atsma

A few notes on "Class 8 Truck Ride"-
About 3 weeks ago I rode along with a co-worker from Astoria, Oregon to Central Calif. in a T600 Kenworth with a new 20' forage box for a truck bed. This truck had air ride rear susp., NON-air ride cab, and the driver got an air-seat. The passenger (me) got a non-suspended seat that DOES have good cushions. At the start of the trip I figured I was in for a rough ride, but was VERY pleasantly surprised, in that the ride, while firm, was in NO way uncomfortable! We cruised at speeds from 55 to 65, depending on conditions, usually drizzly rain ( hey, this is Oregon we're talking about here!) and good traffic conditions. After approx 14 hrs. we got home, and I was not the least bit sore! TIRED, YES! But not sore. The forage box on this truck weighed a lot less than a typical conversion would have, plus it was a tandem axle, plus a shorter wheelbase than any conversion would have. Not an ideal ride setup, but I guess the bottom line here is that one does not necessarily need air-everything to get a good ride
Oh well, enough of all this. I'm off the soapbox......
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote