View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Snowman8

Thanks Bob E.

There's a lot more than meets the eye regarding doing this. My wife is glad I like to research the web for things before doing anything. The Sales Rep I talked to at Int'l on Monday was including some things that Mr. Weaver was saying about the ride, however he stated that by adjusting the axles on the 5'er and placement of the king pin hitch would also adjust the ride of the truck. The axles on TETON are set for best turn radius, so I probably wouldn't do that. I was reading yesterday about the H2o tanks on the trucks as ballast. Who knows, that's why I'm here to listen to what you all have to say about your experiences.

The plan is to do the trip without destroying a truck, be able to go places with the MDT unhitched while on the trip, then when we settle down to "where" we want to build...the MDT needs to be able to be used for the construction of the house for materials (pulling a flatbed trailer).

Guess I'll just have to do some test driving...Obviously some of my concerns:

The ride...don't want to get beat up, whether it's 400 miles a segment on our trip or around town,
Maintenance intervals for this type of trip...don't want to be down in the shop for long periods,
Aerodynamics....how much extra mileage can I get with the design I'm comtemplating,
Realistic utility use...I want the truck to be able to get to the store, only taking up 5 spaces or less ;-} Plus, I want to be able to go camping with the MDT with or without the 5'er.
Snowman8 is offline   Reply With Quote