Thread: Info needed.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
rrutel

I'm new to TC.net and boy am I ever glad I found it. I am in the process of picking out which class 8 tractor will best serve our needs hauling a 41' 5th wheel toy hauler. GVWR on the trailer is 18,500 so it was either a Ford F450/550 or a class eight. Everything I have read so far on this and other sites tells me this is the right move to make.We're looking for something in the 30 to 35 thousand dollar range with a sleeper. I've read many posts, but some questions linger. Why do so many buy a dual axle truck then remove one of the axles? Is this required by law or is it for a mechanical benefit? I live in Florida and looked up the definition of an RV, but nowhere can I find anything referring to a class eight conversion and exactly what is needed to be done to insure a non-hassle registration process. Florida does not have a weight restriction for RV's driven w/ a regular license, as long as the RV meets height/width and weight requirements. I'm wondering if other states have a clause that allows a vehicle to be driven as licensed in the operator's home state that may not qualify in the state being passed through. Additionally, maintenance issues are intriguing. How much does an oil change cost and how often is it done? How about wearable items like steering components, clutch and brake systems?
Any info that can be passed along would be greatly appreciated. If there are any Florida residents that have done a class eight to RV conversion, I'd sure like to hear from you.
Rick Rutel
New Port Richey, FL
rrutel is offline   Reply With Quote