View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 09:52 PM   #11
onezman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Atsma:

P.S. Larry, if your reading this, I'm toying with the idea of putting a large sleeper behind the sleeper-cab of a Volvo 610, and using the Volvo sleeper for seating space, with LARGE windows put in the sleeper sidewalls. Wheelbase will be extended as needed, with one axle removed. Waddayathink?

-----------------------------
Gary,

First, I would look for a Volvo with about a 230" wheelbase. That way you would not need to stretch the frame. Simply drop out the front axle, install a carrier bearing and have a second driveshaft of the proper length manufactured.

There could be two problems.

1. The Volvo (or any) integral air ride sleeper would be difficult to mate to a second sleeper. Theoretically, you could create an air ride system for the second sleeper so as to have it move in concert with the Volvo sleeper. I wouldn't want to try to do that though.

Alternatively, a large thick rubber boot could be attached between the two, leaving maybe two inches clearance between them. This would allow the Volvo sleeper to continue to move independenly. The second sleeper, then could be attached to the frame in a fixed position.

2. It appears that part of the frame for the bed is molded into the sleeper itself. (I have not checked this closely). Even if it is, I believe the bed frame could be removed without too much difficulty. Windows could be installed on both sides of the sleeper.

Larry
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote