View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #19
Doug

It appears to me that there is generally a good impression of ShowHauler (the note string below this shows someone that has had two and will go there for the third). That tells me a lot. One issue for me will be how flexible they can be with using concepts and materials less common in RV construction. I want to have big electrical capacity (deep cycle storage batteries, with a 10K generator and solar panels - look at the stuff EarthRoamer does with their Ford P/U conversions), and none of of this 12V BS. All household type current and appliances; no propane or other such silliness. Likewise, lots of water capacity, both fresh and grey/black. Having talked to Transport Designs, I know they can handle that one-off type stuff without much hassle, and I have seen favorable references to them, too.

The interior has to be low maintenance, and not subject to a lot of the silliness revealed this week about poor quality construction in the mobile homes used by FEMA after Katrina. The insulation has to be first rate so we minimize the discomfort from heat, and sometimes cold. There are 2 adults, and will be two dogs (we have three now, but two are almost sure to be gone by the time the project goes forward due to their age). We like Rotts and rare Mastiff breeds, so there has to be adequate room for them, including a King bed (we have learned that the queens are too small).

Tractor: The base rig will be ordered for the project, and probably paid off up front so we only have to finance the RV part (not a problem given the relations with our credit union). I am undecided about the tractor, although it will of course be a class 8. Western Star was likely to have had the most flexibility in addressing the needs, but they are now part of Freightliner, which has had a bad QC reputation for a long time. I like Macks, but they are part of Volvo, which has had power plant "issues", and commonplace components make service easier. I'm guessing that I will go with KW, as they have very good and consistent customer satisfaction ratings.

Drivetrain: Cats are pretty darned expensive to work on, but have a good reputation - admittedly the odds of serious work being needed in a 10-15 year span are slight. I suspect I will go with a Cummins ISX, as the Cat C-15 MT ratings are not available with their additional hydraulic retarder. Mimimum torque I would consider is 1650 ft. pounds. The transmission will of course be an Eaton AutoShift 18, for maximum flexibility in dealing with varying speed limits across the country with the most ease of operation.

The other question is tandem or tag; as long as I can get the same maximum capacity, the tag has the advantage of putting more weight on the driving axle by partially lifting the tag in slippery crap. Air ride is of course manadatory.

The conversion has to fit 3 main roles: one is summer travel of 6-8 weeks, as my wife is a professor and I am looking to move over into academe from practicing law; one is short weekend trips fom Spokanistan to places such as Glacier, or training classes I want to attend; the other is as an escape pod for turmoil (pandemic flu, etc). "Too much" power and capacity is not a problem - not enough would be a hell of a problem.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote