View Single Post
Old 12-22-2002, 02:50 PM   #14
Doug

This is my first post, although I have been reading a long time. I won't post often, as I usually do not accept cookies, and it's a pain to turn them on... :-) </p>

Clearly, one does not want to go over 13'6", the general maximum legal height. I am guessing that most of the units shown lately, such as the Show Haulers, are pushing 13", and it would be hard to keep one much under that and have adequate internal room and ground clearance. Length will take some research, but I am guessing that 45' is your your practical maximum. Most of my travel is on interstates, so I have more flexibility.</p>

As for transmissions and specs in general: I see some advocacy of the Allison World Transmission. It is my understanding that this is now in the latest versions of the military Freightliners behind a Series 60, so one who wants to look at such an option should probably consider researching how theirs are set up, so as to have a good margin of error for power/weight issues. I am guessing that this is a lot more $ than even the Auto-Shift Fullers, and one needs to consider all of the implications. I happen to hate automatic transmissions in virtually all settings, and I have been an OTR driver, so I will probably spec a 13 speed for my unit once the time comes. One can drive it like a 9 speed, and just split the top hole for easy changes of speed on highways, and if you have enough torgue and a light enough unit, skip shifting is quite workable.</p>

I am in the process of applying for a very attractive job which just opened. It would require a second residence option, and travel to and from. If I am right, a custom RV (judging from what I have seen here, a ShowHauler) will do what I need, and be more affordable than an apartment; a house there would not be an option. Further, I am unlikely to ever fly anywhere again, due to the collateral consequences of the current situation, and I have good sized dogs. This makes a ShowHauler more practical for me.</p>
I expect to use either a Mack or KW, depending on what I can do for frame length. I prefer the Mack powertrain (probably a 380 MaxiCruise, with the 13 speed variant having an extra low first and reverse for close in maneuvering), but if Mack will not deliver a long enough frame from the factory, I know KW will. If KW, it will have a Series 60 (never met anyone who did not swear by that motor) and a 13 speed. Depending what i learn as I spec it, I would consider a single screw with a tag axle, which has the potential for a better ride, and lifting the tag for slippery conditions (more weight on the drive for better traction). One of the things that makes ShowHauler attractive is that they can customize certain things of importance to me: no LPG, all appliances to be electric, with more deep cycle battery capacity and generating power; stuff for the dogs and cat; a bigger bedroom/bathroom, with more water capacity, etc.</p>

The single best reason to go with a truck conversion, even if it were to cost more up front, is that the handling, brakes, construction, and other safety variables are of much better quality and capacity in a truck. The typical RV simple looks and acts like a wallowing barge on the highway; is underpowered, has crappy brakes and steering, etc.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote