View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 11:26 PM   #4
Rick from Paso

Jason, Go for it! It sounds very much like my FL70. Same motor, tranny, air ride, mine has a 72" sleeper and a 11' flatbed with a gooseneck. Mine had 140,000 and I paid 24,100. We are pretty happy with ours so far. Did you try driving it? If you have not driven a non-syncro tranny before, I just want to warn you it is nothing like a synchro tranny. You have a 500 rpm range between shifts, my friend who taught me to drive it drives one professionally and I don't know how I would have figured it out without him. I clutch (shift) over (out of gear) using the clutch and into the next gear without using the clutch. You don't depress the clutch fully between shifts, only to start out. Short shifting the low range gears helps alot too (this means up shift at about 1100-1200 rpm). 4th gear will get you up to a whopping 25mph. It takes much practice and time behind the wheel to get the hang of it. I haven't got to the point of feeling entirely comfortable yet. When you upshift, you clutch over (out of gear), let the RPMs drop about 500 and push into the next gear, if your RPMs aren't right it won't go easily or at all or grind some. It takes a quick and somewhat agressive hand to do it (and alot of concentration in the beginning at least). On his work truck my friend can float his gears (out of and into) but mine seems to tight to do that, even for him to do. I am a neophyte so your mileage may vary Good luck to you.
Rick from Paso is offline   Reply With Quote