View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
madbrit

Thomas,

Where are you based? I am in Kingman, actually Golden Valley, AZ, would love to visit with you and discuss conversions sometime.

I have a '94 Freightliner FLD 120 with a Detroit Series 60 11.1 liter. I would have liked the bigger motor, but this one has 350/365hp and 1350 torque available and not sure what it can be chipped up to. It was already stretched and had a 24ft box installed, so one had to weigh the costs of options at that time and the big motor lost. The biggest drawback is the 9 speed Rockwell, many truckers have commiserated with me over that trans as it is a bear to shift, even for an experienced driver.

We have an Allison HT 740 that we are intending to install. Allisons have run a SCAAN on the rig and it will pull it just fine and since I doubt I will exceed 35,000 lbs all up, I don't see a problem. I will have to change the rear axle ratio, but since I have a single drive, it's not too much of a problem.

We have a trip planned in June, so the Allison will not go in until the winter as I need to use the truck for this year's trips. However, if I can convince the wife that a stick is not so bad, maybe we could swap out the Rockwell for a Super 10 and a light weight clutch as I have back problems which make the clutch a literal pain sometimes.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote