View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Gabby

I run a two tank system. I start up on diesel and stop on diesel. My vegoil is heated with radiator coolant coils in the tank. After two years I have had no problems with bacteria, mold, algae, etc.

The clear concerns are dewatering your oil and filtration. IF... you run a dry oil and filter to better than your on-board vegoil filter you shouldn't have a major problem.

The engine injectors on my Suburban are set to 20 microns, I use an on-board filter to 10 microns and I filter into the truck to 5 microns. Under optimal conditions the filters last a long time.

However, nothing in life seems to be optimal for me. I was burning filters at around 1200 miles for almost a year, then it got WORSE! seems like every two or three days I was changing the filter. Found out my tank vent was clogged. The filters were fine, I was vapor locking my tank. DUH! Since then I'm around 2500 miles on this filter and going strong.

There are several options in regards to problems like bacteria and algae. Some of the biodiesel/vegoil groups can help you decide on the best biocide to add to your tank to prevent growth. Adding biodiesel to your diesel tank also helps keep the lines clean and biological free. (NOTE: If adding biodiesel to an old system, prepare to check your diesel fuel filter after a week or so. Biodiesel will clean all the algae, bacteria and gunk out of your tank, lines and pumps and send it straight to your filter and can shut you down fast. After a filter or two it will keep your fuel systen clean.

A word to the wise, biodiesel is a great solvent. If you spill it on your prize paint job, wash with degreaser and rinse well with water, CUZ IT'L EAT THE PAINT OFF YOUR VEHICLE!

Next project is to convert the 7.3 L, 26-foot box U-Haul I just bought. Got the second tank and conversion kit from Greasecar.com yesterday.

Grease is the word!

Jay
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote