View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
blizzardND

Builder, if you are going to build your own RV, You must beg, borrow or rent a cargo van and take a little run to Elkhart IN. The rv surplus stores there will help you trim 1000,s off all the bits and pieces. You can get everything from furnaces, inverters, generators, sinks, microwaves etc. It is a builders dream.

Most of the stuff is unmarked like a giant RV rummage sale, 2 weeks ago I picked something I thought was like, $25, I asked the guy, he says hmmm, how 'bout $8? I say sold, and so it went all day.

Elkhart is really sad right now, everyones laying off. I think the RV bubble burst over $4 gas. Real bummer, every one we met there from the RV Museum to the restaurants were real nice friendly people.

Figure out what you need, then buy it before you finalize your design, that way you can engineer around sizes that you find.

Also, my 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 sq tube 21' x 6'-6" high (yours will be 8' I'm sure)RV Box weighs on paper with all the above figures in so far at 7000 lbs with 30 gallons of water. and 3 batteries.

I'd spend a little time figuring out your needs, then post them. I'm sure others will jump in and help.
good luck
-blizz