View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 07:23 AM   #9
Junk Man

Jim,

Sounds good, I'm sure that I can make it down there before then.

Geoff,

I plan to frame it with box tubing, so it would not be easy to fill the tubing with foam, unless I drilled several holes in each section, and sprayed foam in. I don't think that filling the tubes with foam would make enough of a difference to juustify the trouble (but I could be wrong). If I was using a C channel instead of a tube, I think I would try to fill them.

I don't plan to spend much time in extreme weather conditions (at least not if I can help it), so the insulation is not going to be real critical, as long as I have enough for normal conditions.

The reason I ask about heat transfer through the steel framing, is that I had a converted school bus in the past, and although there was insulation in the cieling, the heat (or cold) still transferred through it quite easily. Of course, it had a steel headliner, which didn't help. If I changed it to wood, it probably would have made a big difference. Because the headroom was limited in it to begin with, I didn't bother.

On a hot day, one A/C unit would barely cool half of the bus, where I can cool all of my 34' fifth wheel with one A/C unit. Of course, the 5er has less windows, and also is better insulated under the floor.

Jeff in South Dakota
1995 Ford F-250 4X4 PSD
1992 Skamper Slide in camper
1984 Holiday Rambler 5er
1979 Mercedes Benz Unimog
Junk Man is offline   Reply With Quote