View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 10:44 AM   #18
paul.zr1

Mark your email address isn't working, however here are some thoughts on you NRC and trailer questions.

A good friend here in Austin is currently in the process of selling his large Winnebago and buying an NRC. His wife rode in another friends NRC and put her stamp of approval on it. Also, I would say the consistent reaction to mine is that it is very luxurious. Particularly the high ceiling (93 inches) is much higher than most motorhomes. Naturally the choice of fabrics, flooring, counters, etc. are all made buy the buyer.

Regarding cold weather, I will be driving mine in the Midwest alot in that my family in in Wisconsin, and we frequently travel to Colorado for skiing. I could be wrong, but I elected not to get my tanks heated because there enclosed, however in very cold weather I'll pour some antifreeze in the gray and black water tanks. We'll see if I have to add heat strips later on!

Regarding heated storage compartments, with outlets in each bin, I would think you could do that with a portable ceramic heater, as needed. Also, adding spray or dense foam insulation is a good idea. Is there any spray on sound insulation that one could get applied to the whole undercarriage?

I think the NRC definitely is more "industrial strength" looking than the Showhauler. Particularly, I prefer the riveted and glued exterior for long term durability over just the gluing. Likewise with the aluminum vs. plastic rear cap, In the interior I prefer the Flexsteel sofas, indirect lighting and craftsmanship in the NRC. However, I believe Showhauler is a close second.

I agree with your assessment on the noise. This is mainly a function of having a front engine MH. I think the benefits of serviceability and less noise in the rear (bedroom) partially offset the noise factor. We did our best to minimize it in the cab by ordering all the option insulation packages with the new Freightliner.

With that said, however, I'm still planning on installing thick dense foam panels on the underbody above the driveshaft and rear axles. On the NRC there's room for about two inch thick panels 30 inches wide that sit on top of the frame and are glued to the under floor. Thirty inches are all that will fit do to the storage compartment. Also, once the foam is installed probably a sheet medal cover should be put on the bottom. My theory is that would virtually eliminate the drive train and tire/road noise that is noticeable in the living room and kitchen. Mine is already quiet in the bedroom.

Also, our NRC's have a congoleum flooring which I believe is less sound insulating than tile or marble. Probably a few thick throw rugs on the inside would also help.

Regarding the trailer, I paid around $27k. The options were insulation, 4k hydraulic lift, cabinets and work bench, hydraulic tongue jack, motorcycle chalk, Motorhome tongue (five feet), 6,000 # axles, aluminum wheels, extruded aluminum floor and spare tire. This is my third Classic trailer and I've had good service from all of them.

Regards,
Paul Dehnert
paul.zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote