View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
Blue Skies

Quote:
The entire box would be construced with aluminum using 2"x3" aluminum boxed tuing in the floor and 1"x2" aluminum boxed tubing in the walls with .063 aluminum skin bonded by 3M tape on the outside. Having drove a truck, I know that aluminum trailers are highly susceptible to stres cracks. Given that SH and the other manufacturers use steel to construct their boxes internally, I'm wondering if cracks are common in aluminum constructed conversions and that's why SH and the others don't use it? Then again, it could be the cost. Anybody have any thoughts?
I admire your skills and ambition as you (like many on this site) set out to build the ideal motorhome. The contributors on this forum are an incredible source of experience and knowledge.

I share your interest in an aluminum frame and skin accepting that cost will be higher than steel. The weight advantages of aluminum are appealing even though your rig can probably carry much more. Heavier (especially in transportation) does not necessarily mean better. I know that MCI bus conversions also use the 1/8th inch skins. How did you arrive at your aluminum frame thickness specs?

I don't know if stress fractures are more a product of the design rather than the fact that they are aluminum. Many trailers are made out of all aluminum and last decades and hundreds of thousands of miles. I doubt that your mounted coach would be subject to any different conditions.

How do you plan to mount your coach structure onto the truck frame?

Again, please share your enthusiasm and updates on the progress of your coach. Pictures often say more than words ever can . . .
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote