View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #18
Bob E

I've "farmed out" the construction of the sq tubing structure as I don't have the space nor enough arms, legs, a-holes & elbows to do it myself. Besides, I figured it would take me 6 months to complete if I did attempt it. I would suggest you draw a very comprehensive & detailed plan of the structure prior to begin cutting & welding, I've found there is alot more complication there than meets the eye. Anyhow, to answer your questions: The slideout drive & support structures (there are at least 3 different types) all come from the Elkhart area. Jason at Hawk Engineering (who is doing the structure for my project) has ordered in the type that suspends the slide floor from the ends. It also supports the floor from the front and back on both ends.
The telescoping sq tube type only supports the slide from the outside edge of the floor so these generally require a roller in the middle.
I went with the ft-to-back support design as I'm installing granite tile flooring and have concerns with a roller possibly cracking the tile. Also this system uses a drive shaft off of a gear motor that inturn runs (2) screw jacks that move the structure in & out. The whole thing is supported from the sides of the opening, not underneath. The disadvantage (?)is that the slide floor is elevated above the main floor aprox 1 &3/4" (to the top of the floor covering). I'm not sure of the specific manufacturers (names) but I believe you could probably find them on the internet.
The seal (truck to motorhome body) we're using, is an accordian rubber with an aprox 3.5" cross section and has pinch weld grooves on both sides. It apparently comes in a large roll. Again, Jason is supplying this and I really don't know where he bought it.
I'll be back in Mo in a couple of weeks & attempt to get some info on this & the slide manufacturer.
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote