View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #15
truckguy

I was thinking more like 30 feet from behind the driver's seat, which probably makes the "box" 24'. (72" sleeper ?)

Our 5er is 32 feet with one slide, but you lose a bit of volume/space in the bedroom.

I want to run a single rear axle. Our 5er weighs 8500 empty. If you stripped off the axles and pinbox, it would weigh 8000 ish. How heavy are the steel boxes ? It would be great to keep the conversion under 20,000 pounds. Not to sound redneck, but has anyone bought a travel trailer and put it on the back of a truck ? I bet it could be tied in quite nicely, although it would have more frame than it needed and a few other details would be... odd.

How light can a single axle HDT be ? I thought Western Star was advertising tandems at 14,000 pounds.

Now how does one build a rustproof basement ? I don't want to build this thing and then have to rebuild it a few years later.

Aluminum would be pretty expensive, right ? I want storage volume like I'd have on a bus.

Anyone care to comment on the frame stretching question ? (BTW: saw pictures of a Bigfoot leveling system being installed on an M2 (IIRC) and they WELDED them on. What is up with that ?

I like the look of the M2 and I bet it is lighter and has a shorter BOC dimension. I'd love to throw a C12 or ISL in one. I wonder if they could be made to fit. I'm turned off by only having 330 HP available in the M2.
truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote