View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
5erFool (John)

I got a reply from triton motor coach just now and I have edited the two emails together to increase clarity and delete firvality (sp?) and repetition.
John,
Thank you for your E-Mail. Triton Motorcoach is currently building our first coach on a 2004 Volvo 780.
The actual truck is not really important, as this is a personal preference. The chassis and rear cab profiles are similar in most trucks.
Some things that you need to know about Triton, we are building a very limited series of very high end Motorhomes. Our Coaches start at $700,000.
There are many other less expensive manufacturers such as Showhauler, Kingsley, Powerhouse Coach as well as other specialty companies that address different parts of the market, and range in price from $175,000 to 600,000.
Since all of our coaches are expected to be very custom, I will describe the unit that is currently in production as an example of what is possible. Additionally, we can make units with upstairs and downstairs bedrooms as well.
The current unit is being built for a racer of rare vintage motorcycles. He intends to live in the coach full time and does not want to pull any trailers or cars behind this rig. The total length is 45 ft.
This being the case, he needs to carry 3 motorcycles and a Mini Cooper S inside the body of the coach. The motorcycles will be on a lift above the car which is driven in to the coach with it's front wheels over the back of the coach rear wheels. He is keeping the full twin screw tire set-up in the rear.
Where most builders either build what we call a styrofoam body, that being one that has minimal aluminum or steel structure thin plywood and fiberglass skin over a styrofoam core or light weight steel construction with aluminum skin, ie, .060 thick steel and .040 thick aluminum, we have taken a different approach.
Triton does the following:
Our walls are made from 2X2 .125" thick aluminum box tubing members on 16" centers. We use 2X2 .25" thick in areas of special stress. The floor and other areas use either 2X3 or 2X4 aluminum sections. Brackets and reinforcements are usually 1/2" thick Aluminum.
The wall is then insulated the full 2" with rigid foam insulation. The outside skin is 1/8" thick aluminum plate, except for the doors which are 3/16" thick. The roof is covered with real industrial non-skid diamond plate. This isn't the shiny stuff most people use that is slippery and dangerous to walk on.
The inside of the walls is 1/2" thick baltic birch plywood specially glued with waterproof glues and typically used in marine applications. Our floor, is made up of a sandwich starting with .060 aluminum skin on the bottom. Then we have 2X3 .125 and .250 thick floor joists filled with foam insulation. This is then topped with 1/8" thick aluminum sheet. Then 5/8" thick plywood is added. To this we then put the finished flooring of Ceramic Tile, Granite, Marble, Wood or Carpet. There is no stronger structure in the industry.
The builder of our bodies has been in the business of building Rescue Vehicles and Fire Trucks for 35 years. They know what works and what doesn't. The body structure has been tested multiple times by actually placing a 15,000 Lbs load, with no deflection in any of the doors windows or storage compartments.
The accommodations are as follows.
The unit has three slides. The ceilings are 8' high. We have a Hydrohot oil fired heating system and (3) 15,000 BTU roof mount A/C units with heat strips.
Our Generator is a Powertech 17,500 Watt and we have a 3000 Watt true-sine wave inverter.
The kitchen has;
Refrigerator with Ice maker. FisherPaykal dishwasher, Broan trash compactor, Advantium 240V oven, Kenyon flat touch screen cook top, a Franke SS sink. The counter space is over 25 sq.ft. The kitchen has (2) large dual pane insulated windows.
The living room has a Lazy-boy recliner, 6' fold out bed, and a 6' convertible dinette.
Entertainment is a 30" LCD with motorized lift and full surround sound. The living room has (7) large insulated glass windows with electric blinds. Halogen and mood lighting is provided.
The bathroom has a porcelain toilet with built in macerator pump. A full 32x42" shower with Hans Grohe fawcet and full tile surround. The sink and vanity are imported glass. There is a stackable washer and dryer as well as a wardrobe in the bathroom.
The coach carries 200 gal. of fresh water in stainless steel tanks, waste tanks and macerator pumped output are 200 gals. as well. Water and electric cord reels are included.
The bedroom has a full residential 60X80" queen size bed. Significant drawer space as well as storage for shoes, bookcases...
The bedroom has a 23" LCD tv and full surround sound DVD player. Both systems are fed by an in- motion satellite TV system. There is access to both sides of the forward facing bed with a full 3' from the foot of the bed to the wall. There are two large egress windows with electric blinds in the bedroom.
The rear garage has tool storage, a hatch made from stainless steel and glass normally used in super yachts for going to the observation deck. A recessed storage compartment in the roof, holds a canopy and railing for the deck. The coach has a dual 7" LCD 4 camera observation system.
The market we are after is people who want or need the best and are willing to pay for it. In many cases the vehicles carried inside are worth more than the coach.
This part of the market is not well served at the moment.
It was late last night when I answered you, but some other requirements from our customer included, special lighting to highlight their art collection and storage for musical instruments.
As far as all aluminum box construction is concerned, I had my doubts, but after reviewing the data and looking at the actual product, I was convinced. But then again, not all aluminum construction as not all steel construction is created equal.
The customers I spoke to who bought rescue vehicles would only buy aluminum, but of course, they need something that will be very strong and be mistreated every day. They said they can get 25 years of day to day use out of this type of construction no problem. I guess that says something. That went a long way in convincing me to go this route.
If you feel that the people at Truck Conversions would benefit by seeing this info. then you can post it. Our ability to deliver our coaches to current customers will have to take priority over responses to questions, but as long as people are patient I'll get back to them.
I am sure that I have missed something, but I hope that you get the idea of what we are building.
We are not trying to match the glitz of a PREVOST conversion, our interior style of construction is more what you would find in a private jet or super yacht. Real honest luxury, not just a bunch of beveled mirrors and rope lighting.
If you have any interest in talking about whether Triton should be working with you on your project, drop me a line and we can talk by phone. By the way, what time zone are you in? We are in Florida.
Best Regards,
Triton Motorcoach

Know anyone who is willing to sell me some champaign at the price of beer?
John
5erFool (John) is offline   Reply With Quote