View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Bob E

I believe you are correct,...each state sets it's own limits as to dimensions. California doesn't like anything over 40' long but, I understand this restriction is up for review.
For height, I would suggest keeping it under 12'6" as this is about the max limit you will encounter for most underpasses (even though) interstate highways accomodate more than this. State highways & back roads might get you in trouble even at 12"6".
Same is true for max weight. You'll want to use caution on back-road bridges. Most 28' to 34' conversions are going to scale 26K lbs or more -loaded for travel.
Several law firms in Montana have websites offering to setup an LLC & vehicle service for aprox $1000. This appears to be legal and may save you big $ if the license & tax in your state is unreasonable. Suggest discuss this with an attorney in your state before proceding. There may be some "back door" dis-advantages {such as} selling the conversion in or outside of your estate, some where down the road.
Most Interstate RV parks can handle a 40' motorhome in this day & age but, there are a lot of "fish camp" parks that would have trouble with a 35' unit so, the answer to your question, depends on how you plan to use it.
The same goes for fresh water & holding tank capacity,...we like to dry camp out in the Az desert for a few weeks in Jan & Feb. Obviously, large capacity tanks are a necessity. I'm going with 200 gallon fresh & 90 gallon (ea) gray & black. From past experience we've found this will give my wife & I aprox 8 to 10 days before calling the honey wagon but then, we are also fairly conservative with usage.
There are at least 3 different slide mechanism's that are commercially built. Personally, I like the design that suspends the weight from the sides (not the outside-bottom). Structurally, this one appears to be a better design however, the disadvantage is an aprox 1.5" step-up from the main floor to the slide floor. Quality rubber seals, if properly placed, will prevent leaks however, keep in-mind "everything" will leak if there is enough wind & rain. To "slide" or "not to slide" is a tough decision. All I can say is they are awful nice if you are going to spend an extended time in it, especially if you or your spouse is even {slightly} claustrophobic.
It appears you're doing your home-work,... planing is at least 60% of the process.
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote