View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 08:06 AM   #2
madbrit

This is about the third time it has been on Ebay and not sold. Has a very long overhang and is too long to haul a big trailer without going over the "overall length" laws. Will need that special California license to drive if you are from there as it is over 40ft and an RV.

Personally I would not leave the sleeper section in but build one from a day cab or one that could have the sleeper removed. Building the body over the top of the cab would also has the benefit of allowing more driver headroom and the ability to stand up and walk back rather than crouch as one climbs through the hole into the rear body. The sleeper seems to be a waste of space, it is not even equipped with windows for extra passengers, which I have seen done.

Not sure how they have the cab to body join done, but it has to be very flexible. The further back done the chassis, the more cab to body movement.

When I started to construct mine, I was told that if one uses a day cab and basically attaches the cab to the front of the body, one can solidly mount the two parts together. This means removing the rear cab mount and running beams from under the cab back under the body instead. The cab front mounts are rubber doughnuts on my truck and they should be sufficient to support it. So far I haven't joined the two parts together due to the fact that the RV systems are more important at this time, and also I have not decided whether to go over the roof or not. I was considering using a "mid-roof" extension that would give me about 12" extra head room in the cab and take it right back to the body. We will see when we get to that point. So if any of you guys know where there is a 12" roof extension for a '94 FLD 120, especially if it goes back into the sleeper, do let me know. Thanks.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote