View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
BravestDog

Thanks for your responses.

After spending time on the phone with DMV and being told they were all done with my questions, which they really never answered specifically, I went to DMV in person.

After waiting for 45 minutes to be called, I was seen by a desk person who got tired of my questions and forwarded me to her supervisor who did the best she could but still was not specific enough to address the details. I even asked if I could talk to the person who makes the decision whether or not a vehicle passes. She told me she was one of the persons.

So they handed me form titled "Miscellaneous Certifications" go to section E "Certification of vehicle for human habitation" and is says:

"Human habitation is living space which includes, but is not limited to: closets, cabinets, kitchen units or fixtures, and bath or toilet rooms"

So I asked "what is a kitchen unit or fixture" what is the definition...specifically what does it mean?

"what is a bath or toilet room" what is the definition...

I asked if a bucket or portable toilet be considered a toilet and a garbage can that you stand in to bathe a bath...I told her my needs were simple. I don't need all the glitz and glamour...

can water be gravity fed into a sink from above or does it need a pump?

is a microwave oven ok instead of a gas/electric unit? I mentioned that fires in a small space like this can be potentially dangerous and it's always safer to cook outside if you have an open flame.

could a coleman stove on a plywood table be considered a kitchen unit...?

do I need high tech holding tanks or is a bucket under a sink ok?

she went to this big blue manual, got lost looking for the answers I was asking, and after 45 minutes, she told me she was all done with me and for me to consult with the Dept of Transportation...I admit she was nice and was trying her best but she had other customers to deal with and my questions were a bit too much for her.

So I left with a rough idea, but wanted more details.

So there you have hours of work in a nutshell.

Would anyone like to comment on their experiences with this type of matter?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote