View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 07:24 AM   #8
Warpath

Geof -

You have to remember there is a big difference between you and your back yard operation and a corporation which has to fund R&D, service, warranty, sales, marketing, manufacturing, along with making a little money on top of that. If you have the time, talent, and ambision to do it on your own you will always come out ahead. If you don't have any of the 3 than you better buy a manufacturerd unit other wise you will wish you did. Bottom line is that when you compare a conversion to a pusher of similar component spec, a conversion is about a third of the price. That is a bargain!

That Haulmark new probably sold for maybe 150,000 (I am guessing) To knock almost 40,000 out of it in a year that is a deal. Seems that the older rigs with slides seem to stabilize once they hit this price range. Considering that the chassis will last 1,000,000 miles and a few members here in Haulmarks like them and have no problems with them, it seems like a deal to me.

Semi vs. Pusher - Pusher quiet with engine in back, pusher are setup with IFS and 4 way independent air-ride, pushes don't loose space due to cab and front engine. These are usually the things ladies like and don't ya think the ladies have a big say in what goes on? Now if you have a wife like mine she digs the semi look, noise doesn't bother her, stiffer ride not a problem, and her major key is the safety factor of alot of steel and engine out front.

As far as the passengers go, if you do not have front facing seating than forget about them looking out the front of the cab. Try sitting sideways and looking forward, your neck will be sore in a minute. Plus with all the gizmo's on the dash, the captains chairs, and small cab access it is nearly impossible for them to see anything out front anyway. When we point things out to the kids they look out the side window (if it is on the drivers side) but mostly they watch movies anyway, there is only so much scenery kids like to look at anyway. If you have adult passengers that maybe a problem.