View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 02:40 PM   #3
OLDphoneman

Location: https://community.webshots.com/photo/93826746/94091929JnrVfF

Hello Joe -- --

I took a look at your picture -- and have these comments ....

First question -- will this work? Yes

Are you satisfied with your design -- Is it engineered properly -- fastened securely -- and do you know how to operate?

History lesson -- the PRIMARY reason for a sliding 5th wheel hitch -- Is for weight distribution. So this does not apply to us. The second reason for a slider -- some owner/operators have the ability to open the "Dogs" while traveling and slide the hitch forward/rearward while under way. This is for ride comfort. Hardly anyone does this anymore.

Do you know how to slide the hitch forward/backward? May seem like a rudementary question -- But .. you must be in a straight line -- and stopped. Sometimes the "Dogs" don't release -- and their's a bit of friction on the steel surfaces.

Here's a hint -- carry a bottle of dish soap with you -- and squirt the "Dogs" and steel sliding surfaces -- as this lubricates the friction surfaces. Always remember -- NEVER use a petrolium product to lubricate -- as this does not wash off and grit adhears to oil.

In commmercial driving -- To make the Rig turn with less off-trackinhg ..... The driver slides the Tandems forward. Does not apply to our application.

To put it another way -- in our application -- If you wish the Rig to turn with less off-tracking ...... Move the hitch pin location further behind rear axle centerline. You now have a cantelevered effect. If there is logging in your area -- study a log truck -- and pay close attention to the "Reach".

You are also giving up valuable "Deck" area.

You mentioned a motorcycle carrier. A bit difficult to get one up that high -- You may need a hand crank crane to assist. Another solution -- There are 2 - 2" receivers on the front of the Volvo -- an easy job to fab-up a cycle carrier and it would be closer to the ground -- easier loading. The front axle has at least 1500 pounds you can load to it -- depending on your engine. Need more -- move the hitch further rearward of the rear axle centerline with the 5th wheel hooked up -- and you take weight off the steer axle.

What is your height of the hitch with NO air in the hitch air bags ?? You will now tow a 5th wheel with the "Nose" elevated. You might want to review my posting/pictures of how I solved this. Your's is going to be more severe -- with the slider -- but .. It can be overcome .. but opens up yet another problem. I'd like to see how you may have addressed this.

I don't mean to be critical of what you've done. I applaud you -- Here's an example -- If I'd of done that to mine. I'm 62' overall. In a 60' pull thru ..... I "Hang Out" by 2'. If I had a slider -- No problem -- simply shorten up!!

I wish to thank you for sharing with us -- what you are doing .....

OLDphoneman
OLDphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote