View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
Mike Sokol

Everyone,

I'm working on a project for my 2008 teaching tour, and need to pull a 53 ft long by 12 ft high race-car trailer that's been outfitted with 30 workstations. I'm considering building a new air-ride triple axle 5-th wheel trailer with air over hydraulic brakes.

The race-car boys I talk to seem to haul their 48 ft trailers around with something like an FL60 MDT with a 12-ft RV conversion on the back that has a 10 speed tranny and 300 HP Cat engine. That seems a little light-duty for my application, considering I will take this rig back and forth across the country and the hills can be brutal. On the positive side, I'm not going to have a lot of weight in the trailer, just a bunch of desks and computers, but there will be 4 airco units on the roof and a 10 KW genny in the nose.

I like the idea of a small toter-home since that could become my remote office as well as sleeping spot. Most of these gigs will be done solo or perhaps with a hired driver, so I don't need room for a family. But certainly a toilet and shower would be really handy.

Any suggestions as to a tow vehicle? A Volvo 610 with the center axle singled comes to mind. Anyone you can suggest that could add a basic 10 to 12 ft RV to the back of a Volvo or other HDT? I don't have time to build this myself.

Also, comments on doing this in a MDT? I just don't think it would be safe, but perhaps I'm being over-cautions.

Thanks in advance.
Mike Sokol is offline   Reply With Quote