View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
Warpath

Rob -

To get this thread back on track, owning this site has given me the privilege to talk to a number of people in the industry as well as many owners of conversions. All this along with owning a conversion for 2 years, I have seen and heard the good, the bad and the ugly. The biggest mistake being made today in the conversion market is buyers basing there total buying decision on $$$. They think that since it is big and on a class 8 chassis that the rest is the same. I can tell you right now that that type of thinking is a mistake. I had more guys contact me while I was selling my rig that where crying the blues because they didn't do enough investigating before they purchased. Also you really need to take the time and crawl all over each rig you feel has potential and focus on those items you feel are important. Also how long do you plan on keeping this conversion. If it is long term, go with the newest rig with the newest technology. This industry is evolving so quickly that used rigs with new conversions are already being frowned upon in the resale market. Also don't even consider a conversion with anything other than a meritor manual auto (no clutch version) Manual trannies are totally unwanted and even the Allison semi auto is on the outs.

Not sure how much time you spent talking with Nathan at Beck's, but he probably more than any other dealer has the most experience in the industry. I know he is a dealer and dealers are not always thought of as being honest, but Nathan is the exception. He has a reputation of telling it like it is and has a ton of repeat biz because of this.

Good Luck in your search

Bill