View Single Post
Old 09-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
Warpath

We are still in the very early stages of this, and I am trying not to get to far ahead of myself before the current rig sells. One nice thing is that the calls are heating up for mine and I think it should be sold very soon. Who ever ends up with it is going to get a incredible deal. Lonnie at Show Hauler has yelled at me a few times for selling it to cheap. I think he is right, but unfortunately truck conversion buyers don't have a clue at this point in the life of the industry. They just know they want one, but they don't know which builders are good and which ones they should run from. They also are bringing there knowledge of the traditional RV industry with them and incorporating it into the conversion industry. If they see a truck with more than 50,000 miles on it they don't want it. They have no concept of how Class 8 trucks work, how long they last, and the ability for a truck to be updated versus thrown away like so many of the vehicles manufacture red.

Anyway, I have spent a few months researching different design ideas, and look at this project as the building of the ultimate RV versus the ultimate truck conversion. I have to keep in mind that this has to be different in many ways to the one I have or else I should just keep my current rig. So if a RV is the goal, then what is the perfect length? When I talk about a RV, I in-vision a motorhome used to travel to new destinations on a very frequent basis. Used to stay in such places as State Parks or track-side at a Nascar event. So the length we came up with is 36' overall, which should allow you to stay just about anywhere and give you the maneuverability to get in there. The best way to maximize living space is to use the M2-106 and I have absolutely settled on this chassis, and the 28' box.

Here is the floor plan that I have come up with. Note: I have given Show Hauler this print, and they are o.k. with it, but they have not dimensionally checked it out yet.

So this is the start, I am working on the options list and I will also list truck spec's once we get to that point. I hope to get up to the Show Hauler factory sometime in the next month, to check out all of the updates they have made to their coaches. Also I will probably visit Beck's Custom Coach at some point, hopefully to deliver my current motorhome, they are the dealer we are working with on the new one and they are selling the old one. If your looking for a dealer with a ton of knowledge of the industry and conversions in general, check these guys out. --> http://www.becksmarine.com/

Bill