View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
cjc

I know that this is and old post, but I would like to bring up a point. How many of you have banged up your rear basement doors in the course of using your conversion in everyday driving? If you've had your truck for 6 months, I'm sure that the bottoms of your doors or even worse, your electric steps have met asphalt. Why do all these converters build failures into their rigs? And this is just one example. How about the way that they build a flat roof when almost every other class A manufacturer as well as the majority of 5th wheelers and travel trailers build a crowned roof? Just asking for trouble. I don't get it. I recently ordered replacement doors from the same company that Showhauler orders their doors from and had them custom built. I ordered them to taper from the standard height at the front to 6 inches less in the rear. I plan on reconfiguring the framing, boxes and filler pieces on the rear and sides to provide more clearance when going down driveway cuts and over crowned highways. The custom doors only cost me $50 more per side than if I purchased new doors to replace the ones that got banged up. Why don't the manufactures learn from experience and redesign their conversions? Maybe they just don't care? They already go our money. It would do all of us as well as their business and the industry as a whole a great service if they took one of their conversions on vacation and used it in real life situations like we do. Then they can see what works and what doesn't when they get into some campground with sites that aren't level or have ditches and ruts everywhere.
cjc is offline   Reply With Quote