View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
biere

Total newb to rv travel and what not but I have turned wrenches on heavy duty trucks, suspension, brakes, and kingpins mostly, and I also drove a school bus for a year so I figure these would make wonderful rv vehicles.

And for those who actually know how to pronounce mariemont, ohio that is where I did my high school goofing off time. I was surprised to see it mentioned here.

Anyway I started off thinking a 4x4 pickup and a slide in camper would be neat but after checking weights I wound up with a ford 550 on paper. Then I decided an international medium duty would be more fun since it is bigger and comes with factory 4x4 and that just seems like too much fun until you get stuck. But I always wanted a heavy duty rv ever since I saw a picture of someone who mounted an air stream trailer onto a stretched kenworth class 8.

Anyway I hate the burbs and now live in the country. I am planning to sell my current place since I want more land than my current 9 acres. I like being able to hunt and fish and walk on my own property. The rv is great for traveling to see mother nature's doodles as well, but I really am thinking about making it my only home for a while.

I would have some land in a northern state and a southern state and might wind up with a middle state as well. A well would provide fresh water and a septic system would be installed to handle grey and black water from the rv while staying there. I don't like building cabins on land if I won't be around since I have seen too many things broken into or damaged while folks were not around to deal with the vandals and burglars.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could get some posts about gravel roads and maybe some posts about folks who either have a gravel driveway or park on gravel part of the time.

I know that when things are dry the dirt is good enough. But I read a few posts about stucks on this site today, been reading the site all day, and I am wondering what people acutally have dealt with.

My school bus saw very few gravel parking lots and when it was on gravel it was a dry time so that means little.

As far as what I am thinking vehicle wise I really liked how a school bus handled and I am thinking about something like a box truck or maybe a dump truck with the dump body removed and a trailer dropped onto it. I am also wondering about mounting a flatbed so that I would roll a pull behind trailer onto the flatbed and drive on the highway and then unload it when I got where I was going. With a proper deck height for unloading this seems feasable and I would be able to do other stuff with the flatbed of the truck but then I wind up needing a sleeper to get the rv title.

Well, this is all yet to be decided.

Right now I am wondering about how far you folks get from concrete and asphalt. Maintained gravel roads should be easy. Lousy gravel roads that are rarely maintained should be ok in decent weather.

And I am really wondering about driveways and what everyone has.

And actually, it you have concrete or asphalt how has it held up?
biere is offline   Reply With Quote