View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #4
Warpath

I think you have businesses (racers) who can afford to dump rigs at a lose (business expense) to move on to there next rig. This kills the market for any individual looking to buy a new conversion since he can't afford to take a huge lose in value personally year after year.

What will be interesting is when the economy takes a hit and sponsorship dollars dry up, who's left to buy new conversion.

Just an observation

-------------------------------

Basically there are 3 automatics used in trucks.

The Allison Automatic which is similar to a automatic in a car. Uses a torque converter and has a very smooth transition from gear to gear. (At least the new 6 speed Allisons do)

The Fuller Eaton Auto Shift, which is a manual transmission electronically shifted. This trans requires the use of a manual clutch to start and stop. I believe this would be the tranny in the Volvo your looking at.

The Meritor Freedom Transmission, which is a manual transmission electronically shifted along with the clutch electronically controlled. So no driver input required.

Since the Eaton Auto Shift came on line first you'll see more of these in commercial trucks and for a few years was the tranny of choice in conversions. Meritors trans is now almost exclusively used in conversion and I am sure is now seeing brisk biz in the commercial segment as well.

I am pretty sure Eaton is coming out or already has introduced a similar trans as Meritor. (no manual clutching) And I think I saw where there may have even been some patent infringement by one or the other.