View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
BigToy

Bill,

Thanks! Basically we sell price guides about antiques & collectibles on-line as well as at shows. We have been doing mostly local running now with a one ton Chevy van but it limits us to local shows. Our plan is to start out full time on the road for a year or two and then decide if we want to buy another "real" house or stay on the road full time. With a rig under 40' we can get into a good many shows (outdoor spaces are normally 20x20 or 15x20 so by using 2 or 3 spaces we would have 40 to 45')with motorhome if we drop trailer somewhere. That would give us bathroom and kitchen at our site and we could also use the canopy as part of our set up. Once over 40' we wouldn't be able to do that. Also if product is entirely in trailer we would have to bring trailer in to unload then get it parked some where else. With small garage in motorhome we would be set without trailer when necessary.

I thought the only way would be the twin screw. I am really concerned about weight and safty. I am sure there will be times I am running with 10 ton of books plus another ton of set up stuff. I expect to normally run about 6 to 7 ton but sometimes ya just can't pass up a deal.

Another thing I keep thinking about is overall lenght. Would like to stay under 65' overall which would limit me to a 20' trailer plus 4' for trailer tongue. I am wondering how a tall 20' tri-axle trailer would handle. Most of the tall stackers are 28 or more. I wouldn't really mind the extra 8' but don't think I can run legelly in a good many states once I get over the 65' I know a lot of guys do it but my luck is not that good. Another issue once over the 65' is RV parks as I understand it.

Another thing I am thinking is if I use a 20' stacker I could move it around in tighter areas with my van. I wouldn't want to run down the highway with the van towing the trailer but I think I would be OK at a show, flea market, or trailer park - pulling trailer with the van. I would be maxed out for sure but only going a short distance that way. Any thoughts on that?

Any help will help! I am trying to do a lot with an overall lenght of only 65' and only 50' useable once you take off tongue and truck cab. Was also thinking about "V" nose trailer to gain a little space but don't know if is worth the extra money and it will also add a little lenght if I understand things correctly.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Also it is only 2 of us and we basically would be using motorhome to sleep and eat occasionally. We are normally on the go so not much awake time would be spent in RV even if we are in it full time. I guess occasionally all day on a rain day but otherwise just sleeping or taking a break.

Thanks,
Skip
BigToy is offline   Reply With Quote