View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #2
QRTRHRS

I understand the DOT definition of a class 8 truck is anything over a GVW of 33,001 lbs. Based on the info provided, I would consider this to be a medium duty chassis. That is not to say the chassis is overloaded per sey. The DT466 is a good engine. However, coupled with the 7 speed, this chassis is meant for service as a box delivery truck or something of that ilk where speed is not important nor is driver comfort.

You would find yourself preparing to climb hills by getting a runshot than dropping gears rather quickly and usually not having the right gear most of the time. Much better to have a higher horsepower, heavy duty engine just loafing along at similar if not better fuel milage. And don't think that a seven speed is going to be easier to shift than a ten speed. As you go up in gear number, the ratios increase making rpm matching requirements more precise. And forget pulling a trailer.

Then there is the cab. There is not a lot of room and the layout would be minimal. In short, not designed for longhaul comfort.

So, why would someone build this truck? Economics I would say. Most likely the chassis was new and not a retrofit. Much cheaper to go with a lesser chassis.
QRTRHRS is offline   Reply With Quote