View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
Bulvot

I've been looking at Class 8 conversions for over two years now. I just haven't had the time or motivation to get one yet. I'm glad I've waited, though, because it looks like their are a lot more options available.

I've been to the Kingsley facility in PA and looked through quite a few of their rigs. I was really impressed with the build quality. I want to get that level of quality in my conversion. I've spent a lot of time in travel trailers and I don't want to put cheap laminate or flimsy seats into a Class 8 conversion.

What I'm thinking of doing is picking up a used T2000 with autoshift. Having it delivered to a conversion company (since I don't have a CDL), having a conversion done and then delivered to my home in VA where I can then register it as an RV.

My wife and I would like to do a decent amount of finishing of the interior. I want to handle any entertainment wiring (radio, tv, sat, etc). I'll also install the generator but I'd like them to pre-wire the switch for it. I'll also want to do the floor installations (wood and tile). I don't want many bells and whistles on my conversion, but it needs to be nice. Ideally I'd like to get three slides but might go with two, depending on the floor plan. I'd be looking for a 28' to 35' living space.

With all that being said, what ball park price range will I be looking at for the conversion (not including the truck)? And what companies should I consider having do it? I'll definitely talk to Kingsley, but it looks like Show Hauler might be in the same league?

Any comments on the truck itself? Should I be considering other alternatives? It looks like I can pick up a used T2000 with ~500,000 for under $30k.

I will need to tow up to 20,000lbs (including trailer) as well. I haven't figured out for sure what kind of trailer setup I want, but I'm leaning towards a tag (as opposed to 5th wheel).

One other thing...I have a very large building that I can store the rig in, but it is at the top of a 19% grade driveway. The driveway is currently gravel, but I could pave it if necassary. Any thoughts on axle/tire combinations I should consider to help with getting up the driveway with trailer in tow? Regular delivery trucks can get up it fine and I expect a Class 8 conversion with no trailer would as well. However, I had a couple of 80,000lbs tractor trailers try to go up it and they got stuck. Had to push 'em up with a loader. Don't want to have that happen with a conversion!

I would welcome any comments, suggestions, etc.

Thanks!
Bulvot is offline   Reply With Quote