Thread: New on board
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 07:20 PM   #1
John (C-IL)

Well, I'm planning on taking the plunge and the info I have gleaned here has been a big help. I have some questions, but let me tell you about myself and why I want a Toterhome and you guys can make some suggestions. I'm 50 years old and have a small farm, work off of the farm for a real job. I have a college degree and most of my experience is in the ag fertilizer and chemical business. I have driven everything from a go cart to a 65,000# fertilizer spreader. I even spent some time earning a paycheck as a truck driver. I collect and show antique tractors and have been known to pull them 200 miles or so from home to a show. I own a 1997 GMC Crew Cab Dually with a 454 and Auto transmission. The rig is really great, but I would like to do away with the white knuckle drives when driving conditions aren't ideal. I'm leaning toward a KW or a Pete and having a twin screw and a 9 to 13 speed tranny is not an issue. In fact, I like to shift the gears. I currently pull a 25 foot flat bed bumper hitch but with the toterhome may consider a gooseneck hitch and may even go to an enclosed trailer at some point. My son works for CAT so I would like to have a CAT engine, but it's not a requirement. Keep the articles coming, I'm hoping to get this project off the ground in the next 18 to 24 months. Maybe sooner if the right chassis comes along.
John (C-IL) is offline   Reply With Quote