View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
Warpath

I have a Fuller 10 speed in my 95 FLD120 with 538,000 miles on it. Looking at the maintenance records this is the original clutch & trannie with only adjustments and PM completed on them.

Here is my questions.
#1: In the first say 10 miles, shifting is as smooth as butter and no vibration. After that the tranny seems to really tighten up and shifts become much harder and I seem to get a vibration above 1400 rpm in all gears except 10th. Is this normal or not?

#2: What is the life of a trannie & clutch?

I know I have a clutch issue and it may just be adjustment, but under hard acceleration I have had it slip & shutter for just a short moment. But it is not consistent and I can't get to happen all of the time in the same situation as it had done it before.

Next, I have done alot of research on trannies if replacement or major repair is in my future. Really my only somewhat economical automatic would be a reman Allison HT740 which is clunky at 4 speeds and I would have to change my rear-end gears to get speeds above 55mph. Cost without having a core, would be above $10,000. So that is out in my book. Next would be to go to a Allision World Trannie which would be 6 speed auto, but since a re manufactured unit is rare your talking big money $25,000 +. Way out. I really love floating the gears (when the trannie is working properly) and I think it would take the fun out of having the thing if is was full auto. Semi-Auto is out no one will retro a used truck with this trannie. So I looked at a reman "Super 10" which is almost the same $ as reman 10 speed, but it cuts the shifting in half with a air shift between each gear. And since I start in 3rd now, 4th on a slight decline, your talking 4 lever movements which would be very cool. Anyone out there have or used this trannie and how do you like it.

I ask these questions, because I have nothing to compare my current rig to nor do I have past experience in another truck to compare it to. Also, when I head off to these truck service guys they look at me like I am a freak. They tell me some vibration is normal (and I am not talking like I feel a slight vibration in my case, it shakes the cab) but they feel you should just run the mother. I guess the trucking industry is a different world. I just like everything to run 100%

And lastly my rig does not have a engine brake, I looked into adding this and it would be in the $4500 range through Cummins direct. I decided to check into a Pac Brake and it is under $1000 installed. I am looking to limit the braking I am having to do on long descents as well as back road hill country. Any one using a Pac Brake?(exhaust brake) How do you like it?

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote