View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 08:35 PM   #4

warpath. Some of these things have been mentioned before but perhaps repeating them again will help.

The front bumper to back of cab (BBC) distance on the basic M2 is about 8 1/2 feet. On a Freightliner Columbia chassis (frequently used with the truck conversions) the BBC is 10 feet plus. I am not sure what is on your FLD 120 but with the long hood it might be longer.

If I recall you have said that your rig is 40 ft long. With the same 28 foot MH box on a M2 chassis it would be about 36.5 feet.

The cab is lower so the overhead bunk has more vertical room. With a Columbia the bunk is virtually not usable in vertical height. To be useable you must have a body built with at least 6" of extra height and then it still has less vertical room than a M2. The extra height might cause some problems in campgrounds and costs more.

The M2 is easier to get into the cab. Bigger steps and easier steps than the larger chassis. The basic under cab fuel capacity is 50 gal per side/100 gal total. The tanks end at the back of the cab. Larger tanks are available. I believe the 60 gallon are the same length but deeper. 75 gal/150 total tanks are available but these extend past the cab about 18 to 24 inches. So these would take away some of the storage compartments of the MH body.

The biggest engine choice is limited to the CAT at 300 hp and 860 lb of torque. That is why most of the racers are using the Freightliner Columbia or some other class 8 chassis. 450 hp and 1400 lbs of torque is a common engine in the Columbia chassis motorhomes. One advantage to the Columbia chassis is the availability of the Meritor Freedom fully automatic 12 speed transmission. If not heavily loaded it will skip gears so you do not have to go through every gear every time.

If you went with a smaller MH box, 24 feet, and the M2 chassis you would have a total length of 32.5 feet. That would be a lot easier to use in campgrounds.

As a side note I visited all 5 truck conversions companies in the Elkhart area in late May. Many of the rigs under construction were very large. Many with full class 8 chassis including tamden rear axles. 32 foot MH boxes and then towing large race trailers. A lot of these rigs are close to or at 80 feet total length. Ok at a race track but not very handy at a campground.