View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
Randy in Va

Just when I thought I had it straight....
More input from DMV online

Look back up the thread to where I was yesterday. Looked like piece of cake. Now I am told the big money does apply if the rated weight of the combined rig will exceed 26000 pounds. Remember this is for NON-comercial use if there is such a thing.

Does that mean the tractor with two rears and a front would be 20 + 20 + 13 or 53?

Now DMV says:

There are several considerations that need to be addressed regarding operating a tractor.
First, how many axles does the tractor have? Are you planning to operate the vehicle out of state? If the vehicle has more than two axles, you need a fuel decal to run out of state. You would also need to apportion the plates to reflect the other states you will travel through on the registration card. Also, if the gvwr or gross vehicle weight rating is over 26,000 pounds then you need to have a CDL to operate the vehicle. The title fee would be $10, there would be no sales a use tax for a gvwr over 26,000. The registration fee would start around $1000.00.
You may wish to contact the motor carrier customer service line at 866-878-2582, this phone line doesn't have a high call volume as the regular customer service line.

DAMN, I am sick of this run around but hope it helps others.