View Single Post
Old 01-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
Tim H.

It may differ from state to state but I just did this in Texas with no problem. I have a 95 Volvo single axle day cab. No sleeper, nothing. I just registered it as a private 3 ton pickup. Because of the weight of the truck, 6000lb payload was a low as I could get tags for. When I went to register it all they asked was buisness or private, I told them private, I spend money on it, it doesnt make a dime. It has passenger plates just like a pickup. I didnt want a toter-home, just goes against why I bought the short truck in the first place, being able to manuver a 40ft 5ver in tight places. The only thing I have to do is place the 'Private RV, Not for hire' on each side, in my case the doors. Progressive insurance in Iowa does the insurance for my truck and trailer, there are VERY few companies that will write insuance for a truck that has been used commercially before its intended private use. One full years registration for the truck, $185.00 One full year liability only for the truck $406.00 One full year for the 5ver full coverage including contents $1500.00 at approx $65,000.00 in coverage. I am a FULL timer. The 5ver is my primary home and the Volvo is my daily driver. I am retiring and selling the 03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Cummins powered dually. I just felt that the Volvo provides a safer pull for my world, thats all.

And no, RV means no CDL. Altho in Texas I should have a NON-CDL Class A for a private rig over 26,001 lbs combined weight.
Tim H. is offline   Reply With Quote