View Single Post
Old 10-25-2002, 08:00 PM   #2
onezman

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robertsonthego:
Well I've been looking for a site like this for a long time. I used to drive long haul so this would come as an easy adjustment for me but the wife has never driven one so she says auto tranny is a must (she really plans on driving), and my other concern is where do the kids (1 4yr old daughter and 1 3yr old black lab) sit? What kind of financing is available? Where to start looking for a truck? Larry, your trucks are awesome, almost what I'm looking for. I would want a bed behind the cab for 4 wheelers/jet skis/junk/etc. I have a buddy who shortens/lengthens trucks for a living so that would be no problem. I really like the Volvo, I'm pretty sure that's what I want. Liked them even when I was driving the old White Freightler cabover (73 model) back in 85. I'm so excited about finding this site I can't get my questions straight. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. John [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-------------------------------------------------
John,

I can't really be of any help concerning financing. I imagine it might be difficult to borrow money to buy a Volvo or any tractor for recreational purposes.

OTOH, If you have good credit established, a line of credit, or collateral, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

As far as where your daughter and your dog would sit, there are seat belt connections on the back of the sleeper, and on the floor in front of the bed. It would be pretty easy to devise a child seat restraint, or you could remove the mattress from the bed frame and attach a seat on the platform where the mattress lays. The dog could lay on the bed or on a blanket beside her on the bed frame.

I don't think there are any laws covering children or dogs riding in tractors or motorhomes. I think most kids just sit on the bed. There is a netting of seat belt material that stretches across the bed to prevent anyone on the bed from being thrown off the bed in case of accident.

I know many drivers live full time in their tractors. Some take their families and pets with them on the road.

Auto shifts are pretty scarce. When I do find them, they are always in 1999 or later model tractors. They also add about 7 to 10K to the price of the tractor.

Have you considered a tractor with a super 10 transmission? They have only 5 lever shifts.

Driving towing a fiver would not require more than 3 lever shifts. Bobtail, two lever shifts are all that's required.

I currently own a 98 Volvo 610 that is exactly like the "IGOTYOURRVHAULERRIGHTHERE" Volvo. It has an N 14 435 HP and a Super 10 speed transmission. It has not yet been converted to single axle. However, it is scheduled to go to the frame shop next Tuesday.

It comes fully inspected, and fully serviced, with a 2 year/200,000 mile major component engine warranty from Cummins Engine Company. The transmission and rear axle are covered by manufacturers warranty through May of 2003.

onezman
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote