View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
Elburn Bill

That depends upon what your state sales tax, registration fee, plate fee, etc is. In IL it was 7.5% and I do not remember the other fees. In IN the sales tax is 6% but then they get you every year for a personal property tax and for MH they calculate that the same as they do the property taxes!! I figured it saved me just under $20K in sales tax and a ton more in other fees. It cost me around $1200 to setup (incl the first years tags) and now it runs about $125/yr for the lawyer administration plus $225 for the tags, which decline each year until the MH is 11 yrs old at which point they issue permanent tags.

I have been thru at least 16 states and crossed into Canada about 20-30 times without any issues whatsoever.

The LLC is set up as a single member LLC and the only asset(s) of the LLC is the MH, boat, truck, etc. Since the LLC is not in business, there are no tax forms to file at all (check with an accountant in CA first).

CA is a whole different ball of wax. I do not know the laws over there at all. It would be best to either talk to one of the MT lawyers (I recommned Bennett) or someone that has already done it in CA.

Good luck.