View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
BravestDog

Matt

I purchased a set of rubber chemical gloves before I handled the rag and lacquer thinner, just to be on the safe side.

The package that the gloves came in, listed about 25 chemicals and what type of glove was recommened.

Some gloves, the chemicals will pass through them.

If you handle chemicals on a regular basis, use the right glove and possibly a respirator.

The damage takes years to set in the body. And then it may be too late.

here is a site that shows chemicals used and proper gloves
http://www.tasco-safety.com/workgloves/chem.html

doing a quick google search turned up this page

http://www.cdc.gov/NASD/docs/d001001...1/d001051.html

Hands and fingers are subject to an army of hazards on the farm. This fact sheet reviews the hazards associated with exposure to chemicals. Generally, exposure means contact through the skin or respiratory system, and ingestion. Research reveals that at least 80% of total body exposure to farm chemicals is to the hands.

Once exposed, the person could be adversely like developing skin dermatitis or a burn from a corrosive chemical. Chemical can also be absorbed through the skin and into the body, causing a reaction that can lead to acute poisoning. General symptoms often associated with mild exposure to farm chemicals include headache, fatigue, dizziness, loss of appetite, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. Severe exposure to highly toxic compounds can lead to loss of coordination, seizures, and unconsciousness.

When working with agricultural and other chemicals, no single glove will protect your hands completely. Gloves made from polymers and other materials have their strengths and weaknesses in terms of preventing resistance and physical properties like resistance to tearing and abrasion. Since no protect-all polymer exists, selecting the right glove for the job is imperative to your safety.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote