View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
James Dignan

First off this forum is great i have learned a lot reading over years of posts. I am completely green to RVing, however i can see it as a long term lifestyle and i have always been a "build it bigger, build it better" kind of guy. I want to personally design and build (with expert guidance) my own motorhome/conversion/etc not sure what exactly it would be titled.

My goal would be to have a self sustainable living environment that would be able to comfortably accommodate 4 people, as well as a small car, and potentially play toys. I am in Oklahoma and would like to travel and basically set up a home for whatever period of time in areas like Alaska, Montana, Florida etc. for several months or more at a time. Maybe even finding a piece of land to buy and dropping my rolling home on it as a second residence when its not traveling. I want to feel as though i am in a full size home as much as possible and no so much camping.

The basic design i have in my head is to have a tractor such as a 387/T2000 registered as a pickup so it is non commercial. and rather than building onto the frame, simply using an actual 53' moving trailer, such as a kentucky drop. I would fully modify the trailer to make it livable and register it as a personal use trailer as well. Aside from all the ideas i have to modify and build into this tractor/trailer i have a few questions.

1. I have not seen anyone on these forums or others do this. Is there a big no no i am missing why others aren't doing this?

2. I read on one of the forums that Oregon was a bit snippy about maximum length on a non commercial motor home. I know from commercial experience Oregon can be a bastard state about tickets. Is this a problem either in Oregon or any other states, and is there a workaround for it if so. How limited will be in travel range.

3. I do not have the intention of spending a lot of time in RV parks as they do not look enjoyable to me. I would much rather find open land and offer a farmer a few dollars to hang out. However as far as dumping/refilling etc i know several truck stops such as flying j have facilities i could fit into. How accessible would rv parks or other places (state parks) be for this.

I have a huge number of questions that i want to ask about other stuff, but if this basic design falls apart then i have to start over and those questions can wait. For now any help or advice you can offer is appreciated.

Thank You - James
James Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote