View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
madbrit

Firstly, you don't need a CDL to drive the tractor. Once you bought it as a non commercial individual, its use is now private and since its unladen weight is under 26,000 lbs your regular license covers it unless your home State requires you to have an air brake endorsement or some such other heavy vehicle, non commercial endorsement such as I believe Texas does, for one. Other States require the 5th wheel to be removed, check your local Statutes, that's always fun but if you do ask at the DMV, get the reference number of the Statute they are quoting and not just that person's opinion.

The trick is to get a temporary tag. This removes the commercial use as one cannot use a vehicle for commercial purposes when being driven under a temporary tag.

The sky is the limit on what you wish to spend on your conversion, but if you are having a company do the major work, why not let them finish it all as you will be bound to find something they have not done such as wiring, that will not be quite right, which they would have sorted if they had done the whole job. Of course, if you have really detailed plans, things should be okay, but if all you want to do is the flooring, etc. You do mention the entertainment wiring, well this all goes in before finishing the wall and ceiling so you will have to work that out too.

Basically, I would either have them do everything to the finished walls and do the cabinets myself or have them do the lot and maybe put the floors down if you want.

Don't forget the overall length you are allowed to drive and if it's a tag trailer the max in most States is 65ft. We have a stretched FLD 120 with a 24ft body and tow a 26ft bodied enclosed trailer which makes us a shade under 65ft. I know many people pull huge 4 car stacker trailers behind 40+ft conversions and are 85ft long but wait until that awkward Highway Patrol Officer decides that you will park it right there and have to get a tow truck to pull your trailer out of his State!!!!

Towing up your grade will depend upon many things including whether you have double drive rear axles or a single axle set up. If you can pave it, it would be much better in the long run.

Hope this all helps.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote