View Single Post
Old 07-19-2003, 04:00 PM   #9
Junk Man

You don't need to have a lift kit or large tires on your pickup to run into clearance problems. I have a stock F250 4X4 with stock tires, and my 34' Holiday Rambler would not clear the bed. The previous owner had to have the suspension modified to raise the axels about 2 inches more than the original suspension would allow, and it still comes darn close to the sides of the truck bed if you are on any kind ov an angle (such as backing into my driveway).

Not only do I have a problem with clearance at the bed, but also at the rear of the trailer when backing into my driveway (which is kind of steep). I currently have to back part of the way in, then place 2"X10"'s behind the tires, and back onto them, to raise the trailer and keep the rear of the frame from dragging. I tried to get taller tires for the trailer, but the taller tires would not carry the weight that the shorter ones do.

Having a big rig with air ride would make getting into the driveway much easier (I hope, as I could just dump the airbags in the rear of the truck, which would lower the nose of the trailer, and raise the rear, giving me the clearance I need).

Now I know that my trailer is an older model and the newer ones seem to have more clearance, but they still just barely clear the average 4X4 (I have a friend with a newer 5er and a Dodge 4X4 and they have the same problem).

While a 4X4 is not exactly the best tow rig (the extra weight of the 4 wheel drive system really limits the amount of weight we can pull), some of us need it to get around in the winter!

Jeff in South Dakota
1995 Ford F-250 4X4 PSD
1992 Skamper Slide in camper
1984 Holiday Rambler 5er
1979 Mercedes Benz Unimog
Junk Man is offline   Reply With Quote