View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
madbrit

Grumman make box van bodies too. My truck was stretched and the 24ft body added when it was about a year or two old for some special freight contract, it was one of a pair that were modified this way for the original owner.

The cost included the truck and body for $10K delivered from Tennessee. Most expensive item was the Onan Quiet Diesel Genset at $2700. The rest I either bought new or from Ebay or from friends on bus conversions groups.

I had originally started on a bus conversion, but with 40ft of bus and 30ft of trailer making 70ft and vehicles registered in Arizona have a maximum length of 65ft, I decided to stop before we got too far into the bus. We sold the bus shell and bought the truck on Ebay and had it delivered unseen.

I have a problem with owning a vehicle which is used maybe 6 times a year and having it cost more than my house and workshop, so we built it this way. Even though I say it myself, I feel it is much better built than many of these mass produced conversions and it looks pretty good too. A lot more care went into the design and use of materials. That being said, I would love to have had the money to have one built to my spec, especially with an auto or autoshift tranny for the wife to feel more comfortable driving it.

Apparently if you use what is known as a "Stinger" hitch, which I understand is like the car transporters use, it is a loophole which allows overall length to be 75ft but I haven't seen any legislation or legal specs on this so far.

The website you posted is what I have used too, but each individual States' Statutes are what you have to read and carry a copy with you as they are all reciprocal in other States. So unless you live in Wyoming and Sth Dakota where you can have 85ft and 80ft long combinations, it's 65ft thru 75ft for the others.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote