View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
wedooit

Hi all,

Glad I stumbled into this website, have been reading posts and such. Been considering an HD truck vs my older FL50 Freightliner toter. I pull a 30ft gooseneck stock trailer every day for my work as it is converted to a full mobile work shop. Have been researching and researching and analyzing to death the conversion.....and trucks and what to do. Found an exceptional buy on a 2006 Columbia Freightliner double bunk. Like many of the other posts am looking for more room etc. Anyways have removed the front drive axle and extended drive line and such had that done by the Freightliner shop. We estimate the fuel mileage to be from 10 to 12 mpg (the FL50 only got 9.5), mileage is a factor as put on 50,000 to 60,000 miles per year. Found several HD toters on some horse people sites that pull large horse trailers, and got some ideas....even found the Red Rover Volvo site. I have a CDL etc and at this point am not too concerned about DOT and Idaho laws and DOT and such as I can handle that.

My question....

1. Hope I removed the correct axle as want to keep the frame length same as when pull my toy hauler I can haul 1-2 quads on deck as well as my Miller Welder/Air Pac. I removed the front drive axle and kept the rear in the same position. Should I consider a locker axle for the winter?
2. Going to pull bottom bunk for more room for family....what have others considered air ride seats? OR custom couches? Tables? I kept the upper bunk as is for napping etc.
3. Any comments about APU units? I have a Webasco (sp?) heater now installed.
4. Found several air hitches and am converting my gooseneck to king pin. Any comments on air hitches....have looked at mountain master out of Phoenix??? I can mount the air hitch directly on rails of truck frame and meet pin height on toy hauler.
5. Any other suggestions others might have?
6. After reading some posts I might want to pull toy hauler in California and now hope am under 65 ft???? Oregon??? Idaho am ok.

I am also open to questions from other members as well, as I have researched and over analyzed the decision to convert from class 7 to class 8.
Many thanks from the wedooit crew in Idaho!!!!!!
Holy Cow!.... a loving younger wife that keeps me going, a 6 yo little lady that is a princess/tom girl, a 14 yo that thinks he can sled better than a 30 year veteran sledder, and a 19 year old that is a soldier...
wedooit is offline   Reply With Quote