View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
BravestDog

It was explained to me by a qualified source that the Renegades are manufactured like this. I did my best to pay attention and take notes but I make mistakes occassionally. Something I find interesting is that these construction methods are not listed on their website. I wonder why not? Correct me if I'm wrong.

WALLS:
1. The exterior is FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood), ie 5/8" plywood with a fiberglass coating giving it a 3/4" finish width.

2. The interior walls are then lined with 2x2 wood studs. I'm not sure how the studs are attached to the FRP or their spacing width.

3. Insulation is put inside the wood bays. Not sure what type of insulation they use or how it is fastened so it doesn't sag/compress...

4. 1/4 luan plywood then covers the wood studs. Not sure how the luan is fastened to the wood studs.

5. Then some type of interior finish material is used to cover the luan plywood.

6. The exterior FRP walls are one piece of material. There are no seams.

7. Where the FRP has been cut for window openings, they are finished off somehow to prevent water from entering the FRP.

ROOFS/CEILINGS:
1. Ceiling joists are 2x4 lumber on edge. Not sure about the spacing, but one could assume they are stacked on top of the studs?

2. Insulation is lined in these ceiling joist bays. Not sure the type of how it is fastened.

3. 1/4 luan plywood covers the insulation.

4. Some type of covering is then put on the ceiling plywood. Not sure how it is fastened.

5. The ceiling piece along with the walls is from one piece of FRP so there are no seams.

6. One could assume that where there are cuts made in the ceiling piece, that the cut edges are sealed somehow.

I don't know if there is a bottom and top plate used in the walls, similar to typical stud framing methods.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote