View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Radman

OK, I have been giving some thought to this gen-set exhaust question.

Currently, I have ours running through the current truck muffler.

I beg to differ with the manufactures recommendations regarding backpressure. While knowing full well that they have to say nothing but a separate dedicated system will work due to liabilities, there is no way that, too much backpressure could be an issue when the gen-set is running through a 5” exhaust. Now I must say the comment about hot exhaust and condensation got me wondering. Pumping hot air into the cold non-running gen-set may be a good conversation but I still don’t think its bad idea.

I am considering some hot rod fun with the ole N14 this winter and in my conversations with Pittsburg Power, they stressed minimum backpressure as the first move to increase performance. That got me on the path for a dual 5” weed burner with oval slash cuts to get a bit more clearance.

The dual exhaust program presents the opportunity to move the gen-set exhaust to a vertical stack routed up between the box and the cab. This would move the exhaust away from our neighbors (and our guests when the wind is blowing the wrong way).

I am not sure how to finish off the top of the stack so I am looking for some ideas on that but it all sounds like a good idea at first pass. Counter weighted flappers with a drain on the bottom like the big rigs was my first thought but let’s hear some other ideas please.

Rad